Monitor - Journal of the Victorian Herpetological Society.
Advertising Rates and Guidelines.
These guidelines are published at http://www.smuggled.com/monadv1.htm. and may be downloaded by any person.
Monitor is currently not being produced. However the former guidelines for potential advertisers remains on this website:
1/ In case the publication is resurrected in the near future and
2/ To help potential advertisers who wish to submit to other herpetological publications.
Therefore it is asked that until further notice on this site to the contrary, people do not send in material for publication as adverts in Monitor.
Below are the former guidelines...
Advertising: Monitor will accept advertising if the product or service is deemed to be of interest to readers. When adverts, advertorials, etc., are printed, they are usually in such manner as to fill what would otherwise be blank space, such as at the end of articles. Monitor does not accept advertisements for sale of live reptiles or related live products such as food, including frozen foods. Whether or not adverts are accepted and/or printed is the editor's decision alone and it is final. If interested in advertising in Monitor, please read these guidelines and then if you have any queries, consult the editor by phone.
Circulation: As an advertising medium, Monitor is second to none. Most of it's circulation is by subscription and magazines sold tend to remain in circulation indefinitely. They are also routinely read, re-read and cited, meaning advertisers get repeated exposure of their products and/or services, long after the advert is paid for, placed and published.
Presentation: Advertisers should not present any material for publication until after being cleared in writing by the editor to advertise. Advertisers MUST present all materials in the form of "Camera-ready-artwork" before publishing deadline in order to have their advert printed. There are NO exceptions to this. This material must accompany payment for the advertisement. No adverts will be published unless paid for prior to anticipated publication. In the unlikely event that monies are taken for advertising and no advert is printed, then all monies paid will be refunded.
Full Page - Inside Front Cover (BW) $1,300 (Colour) $1,600
Full Page - Inside Back Cover (BW) $1,100 (Colour) $1,350
Full Page - Inside Magazine (BW) $700
Full Page - Back cover (outside) (Colour) $2,000
1/2 Page - Inside Magazine (BW) $500
1/4 Page - Inside Magazine (BW) $300
Payment For Adverts: Cheques should be sent in Australian dollars to:- The Secretary, Victorian Herpetological Society, C/O Editor Monitor, PO Box 599, Doncaster, Victoria, 3108, Australia. Accompanying the cheque should be a cover note/letter clearly indicating what the cheque is for.
Free Advertisements: Occasionally and at the editor's discretion only, free adverts are printed on behalf of a vendor, usually in recognition of substantial unpaid services. Ther most notable examples of these types of ads have been recent ones for The Herp Shop run by Brian and Lani Barnett in gratitude to the vast number of hours of unpaid work they have put into running the Victorian Herpetological Society and publishing Monitor for over 20 years.
Submission of advertising material to Monitor is taken as consent to the following publishing terms and conditions:-
submitted to Monitor, if published in Monitor, becomes copyright
of Monitor and the Victorian Herpetological Society. This includes
- This copyright includes photos. Photos published will however become joint copyright between the Victorian Herpetological Society and the photographer, with each party having rights to republish and/or licence republication of the photos as they see fit. If the photographer sells or uses the same photos after publication in Monitor, independently of Monitor and/or the Victorian Herpetological Society, the Victorian Herpetological Society will make NO claims for rights or payment for those photos. The Victorian Herpetological Society/Monitor will have no rights to republish photos outside of Monitor, except as reprints, society publications and for promotional/publicity purposes for the society and it's publications.
- Advertisers who pay for advertising in Monitor are automatically allowed to republish their adverts elsewhere, in the same form if they choose without permission of the editor of Monitor or the Victorian Herpetological Society for any legitimate purpose, including in books, journals, magazines, on-line and the internet.
- Advertisers and authors remain legally liable for all material published in Monitor and by submitting material to Monitor, the author and/or advertiser indemnifies Monitor and the Victorian Herpetological Society against any claims that may arise from such publication and/or after the fact.
- The editor of Monitor alone decides what is and is not published in Monitor. This includes adverts. For adverts, the editor's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. The editor reserves the right not to give reason/s if and when refusing any advertising.
- All materials advertised must be legal in every way and all vendors who advertise in Monitor must abide by general rules of ethics and fair play. All advertising is accepted on the understanding that all products and services promoted comply with relevant local, state, federal and international laws and regulations.
- The editor reserves the ultimate right to edit any material submitted, including advertising, in any way and for any reason, with or without consultation with the author, and has final say on photos published, layout and other matters of relevance.
- Material submitted to Monitor and it's editor is submitted with the understanding that all care is taken with materials sent, but no responsibility is taken for any losses or damage to materials should such occur. By submitting any material to Monitor, the author and/or advertiser consents to all publishing terms and conditions listed above.
Monitor Editor's Address For Correspondence:
Raymond T. Hoser (Editor: Monitor),
PO Box 599,
Doncaster, Victoria, 3108,
E-mail address: XXX
Within Australia: Phone: (03) XXXX
All other inquiries re the Victorian Herpetological Society:
Including Monitor subscriptions, distribution inquiries, etc, should
be directed to:
Brian Barnett, (President, Victorian Herpetological Society),
16 Suspension Street,
Ardeer, Victoria, 3022,
E-mail address: email@example.com
Within Australia: Phone: (03) 9363-6841 Fax: (03) 93605-6704
International: Phone: +61 3 9363-6841 Fax: +61 3 9360-5704
Monitor - Guidelines for authors and contributors
Monitor - Index to volumes 7 and 8.
Over Fourty Herpetological Papers - Downloadable in full.
Victorian Herpetological Society Home page